Monday, March 17, 2008

Lots to Celebrate!

Happy St. Patty's Day!

I can't believe how different a holiday can be from one place to another. When I first moved out to Idaho I was totally shocked on my first St. Patty's Day here-nothing happens! Growing up in Cleveland, it is one of the biggest holidays of the year. It is rare you could find anyone not wearing green or celebrating in some way or another. School isn't "officially" canceled, but if you show up you are bound to be one of only a few kids in each of your classes. I have tons of fun memories of St Patty's day in high school: green donuts, shamrock shakes, being in the big parade (or getting kicked out of it- which was even more fun), just to name a few. Because I love all holidays, I was so sad when I realized that nobody out here really even cares that it is St Patrick's day so I've tried to keep at least a little bit of celebration going each year on my own. No, I don't bust out kegs of green beer and hang out in the streets, so it isn't quite like being in Cleveland, but I at least wear green and try to make some fun St Patty's treats. A few years ago I even bought some shamrock dishes and I usually attempt a traditional Irish meal for dinner to try and make it fun. Well, this year is going to be by far the most boring St Patty's Day ever for us here in Idaho! Without a kitchen to cook in there will be no green treats and to Trav's great relief that also means no corned beef and cabbage for dinner (he hates it)! I'm not even sure if I own any green clothing that will fit over my big belly, I'll have to go look, and the cute shamrock dishes and other decorations are packed away with everything else I own! So I'm a little sad about missing a holiday, but next year I'll just have to go all out! I stole a couple pictures from one of my best friends, Lindsay, just to show you Idaho people what this holiday is like in the rest of the world! (hope you don't mind linds) They've already been celebrating all weekend!




Not only is today St Patrick's Day, but it is also one of my best friends birthdays. And not just any friend, it is Abbie's birthday, my redheaded, irish step dancing friend! I just think that is so perfect! And this year Abbie has even more to celebrate than her St Patty's Day birthday...Her boyfriend Dan popped the big question this weekend and it's official, they are tying the knot! I am so freakin excited for Abbie, she is so happy and no one deserves it more! She is one of the very best friends I've ever had and still some of my best memories of my entire life are the times we spent together. I don't get to see her much these days, but still love her to death and can't wait to see her next week and get all the fun details. Happy Birthday and Congratulations Abs (and Dan)!! I can't wait for your big day!

1 comments:

indeazgirl said...

Your friends look like they are having so much fun!! I worked the night of St. Patrick's Day, but I made sure to wear my green scrubs and green eyeshadow and eyeliner!